Mi Vida Loca

Welcome to the chaos and calm, the ups and downs, the happy and sad...my life is a balancing act on so many levels! It is my Libra nature to be constantly striving for balance and harmony, and sometimes (hmm, maybe more times than I think) the devils advocate, leaning towards the contrary to get another perspective on the table. I hope you enjoy reading my new journey into the blogging world! Disclaimer: Some content maybe should've been kept in my head or in my personal journal! Read at your own risk!

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Laundry Lady

We have been home all week now, except for excursions out to drop Morgan off at gymnastics for a few hours and pick him up, several days a week. Anyway, I had this grandeous idea of how much I would get done. Okay, on a NON COFFEE week? What the heck was I thinking??? I decided I am a Friday-Sunday coffee drinker now.

Laundry is my only goal in life for the next few days, aside from nursing, diapers, feeding the kids, cleaning up, and then any other unforeseens. For a family of 6, I should be doing about 1.5 loads a day, or with cloth diapers, about 2 loads every single day. WHICH means, if I don't get around to putting it away for a few days, I stop washing laundry, which then means if I stop washing the (literally) stinkin' laundry, I end up with a massive pile of diry & damp laundry. Now I have about 6-8 loads of clean laundry in my room and 10 loads of dirty laundry to do! Not that any of this matters, I don't know if I have EVER been caught up on laundry, and if I do get all caught up, will it all fall apart again the next time someone gets sick or I am too tired or I have to actually wash the bed linens (can't it wait until someone actually wets the bed or throws up in it?).

Alas, at least I am happy with our detergent. I am using Bio-Kleen right now, but am unhappy with both of my natural fabric softener sheets (Method...none work & something from Cost Plus...doesn't work either). I want something that smells nice (and isn't really yucky for my family).

For now...off to bed to read my New Earth book. Hopefully I have some clean unders in the morning!

Oh, and if this is boring...you can be happy you aren't me...I am happy after all, to take on that roll as laundry lady for my family. :o)

6 comments:

gail said...

i just started using mrs. meyer's softener sheets, but i have never used any before, so can't compare them to others. good job using cloth diapers! we did that too, but that seems like ages ago now. do your kids help at all? i'm only saying that because i tend to do things, then think, "why am i doing all this? the kids can/should help." hope you have a happy coffee friday :)

mamakendra said...

I am using Mrs. Meyer's too, but am not happy w/ the scent I got, and don't feel it actually makes things smell better. I do *mostly* cloth, but go to disposable for outings sometimes and for night (so I can just nurse at night...not change diapers too!). The kids do help a bit, and I am teaching them to do more and more all the time, it is just that though...sometimes it is quicker to do it myself! I did Liption tea today...decided I didn't miss all day coffee breath!!!

Sam said...

Not sure how pc it is, but we use baking soda, borax and vinegar in the wash, and nothing in the dryer. Perfume just gives me headaches. But, I've read that you can use a drop or two of essential oil to scent the baking soda. Although, it would be pointless if using vinegar in the rinse.

Anyhow, all that was just to say, if you use dye/perfume free laundry detergent, you can add in your favorite scent with essential oil.

The vinegar makes using dryer sheets generally unnecessary. I still have a run-in with the occasional static, but it's not bad.

Good job with the coffee abstinence!

mamakendra said...

You must get either Care2 or Annie's emails...I just read about the vinegar mix yesterday!

BK said...

Why giving up coffee? I mean, I know there are lots of reasons, but is yours? I used to have a little washcloth that I kept on the dryer and I would put a drop of essential oil on it and throw it in with each load (in the dryer, not the washer). Clothes smelled great. We didn't have issues with static back then because we used soap to wash our clothes instead of detergent. But now I'm lazy and use both commercial detergent and dryer sheets, when I get around to it.

mamakendra said...

I have been on/off the coffee wagon for years, and actually had a whole bunch of coffee today since I got up at 5:30 this a.m. to go to Morgan's meet (and now the baby is getting it through me and may end up taking a late nap or going to be REALLY late).

Anyway, I have a bunch of digestive stuff STILL going on, and coffee seems to make it all SO much worse (especially my pancreas when it gives me bouts of pancretitis). I get moodier than heck from the high high and then the crashing low, it affects my depression in a really negative way and lastly, it really makes me tired at the end of the day, not more energetic, from that crash. There are little things like stinky coffee breath, yellow teeth, I use so much creamer it is like 900 calories (around 10+ pts a day) and causes me to bloat and gain weight. Those are my reasons for stopping. I am going to have some every now and then, but not every day, I was drinking a pot a day and that was just too much for me.

I did pretty well this last week and only drank some tea on Friday. I think I did the hardest part and can move on from that.

Regarding the fabric softener, I don't have much static so much as I want better smelling clothes. I just picked up more detergent w/ lavender from Trader Joe's, I love that stuff!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed