Mi Vida Loca

Welcome to the chaos and calm, the ups and downs, the happy and sad...my life is a balancing act on so many levels! It is my Libra nature to be constantly striving for balance and harmony, and sometimes (hmm, maybe more times than I think) the devils advocate, leaning towards the contrary to get another perspective on the table. I hope you enjoy reading my new journey into the blogging world! Disclaimer: Some content maybe should've been kept in my head or in my personal journal! Read at your own risk!

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

It's Summer in Oregon Finally!

We are finally seeing some sun here in the rainy state, finally! Every year I have ever lived here (3 1/2 + 3 = 6 years), around this time in June people are always itching for the sun. Why, why I ever think it will be sunnier sooner is maybe that little bug in the human race (or gem depending on the context of the situation)...faith. Faith that, yes, we will see the sun again; faith that it is sunny SOMEWHERE, and, yes, it will be sunny here again too; faith that unless we are upon another ice age (which is entirely possible if you read anything prophetic or Mayan), yes, we will have sun, warmth and the flowers will bloom.

I am perplexed by the farmers up here. HOW do they make a living when the weather is eternally unpredictable? Short growing seasons, cold, freezing rain, late spring freezes, the possibility that the sun may only show for 3 months (instead of 4, har har). I am personally behind my own gardening season, even if we are "growing season-wise" behind by two weeks. I just haven't managed to pull all the weeds that are growing in the boxes. Every time I get out there, I end up cursing at the 5 damn, er, 5 wonderful little beasts that love to poop in my freshly weeded garden, deterring me from weeding anymore. Did I mention I have cats, and ones that hate litter boxes at that? (That is a WHOLE 'nother blog altogether) We bought 25 strawberry plants last year, and this year have 4x that many! We are lovin' the strawberry love. A few herbs made it through the winter and have spread massively in the herb garden too, amazing their resilience when it actually snowed a few times this past winter/spring!

We may even get some really great heat later this week (about the time we are going to be in a warehouse playing paintball for Morgan's 11th Bday, and then the next day in a gymnastics center for a sleepover, but I am NOT complaining, really). I love hot, I could live in Tuscan and just be content with the heat, but then I don't work outside the house and can hang in shorts & flip flops (used to call them thongs...not no more, uh-uh!).

Anyway, my blog is falling to pieces as I am losing focus. The 71ish degree weather is urging me to get things done in the sun! (like cleaning the pool, but again, NOT complaining, hehe).

3 comments:

Firefly Mom said...

I came accross your blog and noticed that you're a family of gypsy homeschoolers like us! We started in Roseburg, Or. and then went to Eugene, Chandler, AZ, Menifee Valley and Fresno, CA, Dallas, TX and a year ago we moved back to Oregon (outside of Portland).

Of all of the places we've lived, this is the first time we've had a garden. One whole raised bed didn't even germinate this year because the weather was so cool, and *something* has been eating all of our strawberries! We're already planning on building cold frames for next year. So for now, we'll keep shopping at the farmer's market from the people who are smart enough to have a greenhouse ;D

mamakendra said...

Looks like you are fellow UU too (that is, WHEN we go, hehe). Are you ever this way? We go up that way maybe once a month. Lots in common. :)

Firefly Mom said...

Yes, we are UU's (and like you, that'd be *when* we go ;D ).

We do get down that way every now and again. We're looking forward to making it to AC Gilbert's Discovery Village. I hear it's a lot of fun!

How old are your boys? It'd be great if we could work a visit into one of our trips!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed